Ombre

I’ve never knit anything in ombre before. As a fledgling knitter, I fell in love with a beautiful ombre skirt in Wenlan’s Twinkle’s Big City Knits. The skirt was made with three-strands of mohair held together and knit so that the color transitions were smooth and practically invisible. What struck me as odd yet totally awesome was that the skirt didn’t have the gradation of a single color. Instead, it incorporated four (or was it five?) different colors. Finding the right colors is probably one of the greatest challenges in design. And if done incorrectly, it could turn out to be a total disaster… like a 80s hot mess.


Tonight, I spent two hours working on a swatch for EK in ombre. As I’ve said before, I’ve never worked ombre in knits.. It’s not very challenging but you have to keep switching each color back and forth for about six rows in between each color change which gets kind of tiresome.

No comments:

Post a Comment