EZ's Baby Surprise Jacket

I’m not a big Elizabeth Zimmerman (EZ) fan because I find so many of her patterns difficult to follow, but I greatly appreciate her bold and innovative approach to color and shaping. The only pattern of hers that I’ve completed so far is the Baby Surprise Jacket (version II, modified by Meg Swansen), which I found in a back issue of Vogue Knitting magazine earlier this year. Since I felt like I was lacking a classic piece in my collection, I thought that the EZ Baby Surprise Jacket (BSJ) would be the perfect addition to my collection of handmade knits.


My favorite part of knitting the BSJ was seeing the shape of the jacket take form. Initially, the BSJ instructions didn’t make much sense to me as I read about the random increases, but with slow progression, the shaping grew more apparent with each row and I was stunned by the jacket’s sophisticated look. Quite marvelous.

No comments:

Post a Comment