The Selby

By now, I think everyone pretty much knows Todd Selby and his awesome series of photos that feature the homes of renowned designers and artists all over the world. On a rainy day, I sat at my local Borders and flipped through a copy of his first and most recent book. The pictures were beautifully shot and they kind of reminded me of my college days where my friend, Dorothy, and I would dedicate the first few days solely to decorate our rooms. We would drive back and forth to Big Lots, TJ Maxx, and Marshalls to spot our bargain furniture, pick out color schemes, find curtains that matched, and contemplate how to arrange our beds. Our dorm, LATHROP, would host its annual “best dorm room” competition where the winner would get a free pie of pizza. Sigh, how I miss college sometimes. My freshman year room looked like a total janitor’s closet because I had a roommate that didn’t share the same sort of fine taste (okay, maybe not fine... more like) whimsical living. My sophomore year room had a giant Andy Warhol poster, a treasured gift, and all these random wall hangings that I had purchased in France. I chose light blue and white as my colors. I also incorporated some Asian flair with my tatami mat and random hello-kitty decors. My junior year room paid homage to my travel to Japan from the previous summer. I also had random shit from the hyaku-yen store sprawled all over the room. 






(A picture of the wall of Dorothy's room. 2006.)

2 comments:

  1. the fact that YOU are reminiscing of your college days is making me feel ill.

    my college room decor was pretty hottt ;) was covered with my mediocre photos from my photography classes~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that last photo looks oddly familiar, but the perspective throws me off! I think I still have those postcards floating around somewhere...

    ReplyDelete