What's in a name


I thought of some names today as I ran on the treadmill. I wondered how the names of different brands were developed. I thought about Opening Ceremony and then thought it would be nice if I named my future label, "Intermission" and then discarded that idea because it seemed so unoriginal and a lot of the stuff I make looks NOTHING like Opening Ceremony. 

My middle name is Joan. Not Jo-ann, but Joan. I was named after Joan of Arc, who my father grew to love and admire during his college days when he studied French History and Lit. He envisioned that I would be independent, strong-minded, and respond to duty just like she did. Yeah... not sure how all of that really fits into the overall picture of me. I suppose I do have a tendency to be really INTENSE when necessary.

Last December, after hours of trying to come up with a name for my website, I settled on the name, Loop the Stitch, for my blog. When you loop something, you keep it on repeat. And since the art of knitting is related to the idea of passing the craft down one person to next, I thought "loop" would be fitting. For now, I haven't done much but share pages and pages of verbal vomit, but I hope to share some of my secrets about knitting (and other stuff ha ha) in the near future with you as well.

1 comment:

  1. Other stuff.... what other stuff? I'm intrigued. Also, I think Joan of Arc may prove to be a fitting name yet.

    ReplyDelete